Many NEW Classes, Workshops, and Demos to start out your New Year!
• Saturday, January 26 – The Wonder of Wax with Flo Bartell – beginning encaustic
• Thursday, January 31 – Painting Seascapes with Strong Values with Harwood “Woody” Benton (ongoing)
• Friday, February 1 – Art After Dark featuring a Mini-Retro exhibit by Leon Amyx
• Saturday and Sunday, February 2 and 3 – Beginner Copperplate Calligraphy 2-day workshop with Mary Lou Johnson
• Saturday, February 9 – ART CENTRAL’S 8th ANNIVERSARY EVENT!
• Thursday, February 14 – Painting Seascapes with Strong Values with Harwood “Woody” Benton (ongoing)
• Saturday, February 16 – Watercolor Painting with Strong Values with Harwood “Woody” Benton
• Saturday, February 16 – Pleine Aire Primer – DEMO!! with Jonathon Gaetke
• Sunday, February 17 – Floral Abstraction Acrylic Workshop with Drew Davis
• Tuesday,February 19 – Zentangle and the Art of Mindful Creation with Debbie Gedayloo
WORKSHOP: BEGINNING ENCAUSTIC
SATURDAY, JANUARY 26th, 11AM – 4PM
THE WONDER OF WAX
WITH FLO BARTELL
FEE: $125 includes most materials.
This class will include beginning encaustic techniques, safety precautions and studio requirements.
If you wish to participate, please contact Flo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-528-7983. Space is very limited, so reserve your spot early!
CLASS: WATERCOLOR PAINTING
THURSDAY, JANUARY 31th AND FEBRUARY 14th, 10:30AM – 1PM (ongoing, every other Thursday)
PAINTING SEASCAPES WITH STRONG VALUES
WITH HARWOOD “WOODY” BENTON
FEE: $45 per class
Watercolor painting is the process of staining heavy paper with water based pigment. With practice and patience, you can learn to capture the subtle shapes and light in the world around you. Watercolor, at its best, is about being in the moment and finding the essence of a subject rather than getting caught up in all of the minute details. In this class, we will start from a blank page and learn to bring to life a seascape scene from start to finish. Woody will demonstrate technique and show you how to create relationships with strong values, guiding each person as they try their hands at this wonderful medium.
This class is for adults. You do not have to have any prior experience. Woody has inspired adults for decades to add this form of moving meditation to their self-care regime. Paper supplied, students supply their own paint & brushes. To enroll, please contact by e-mail: email@example.com.
WORKSHOP: COPPERPLATE CALLIGRAPHY
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2nd, 11AM – 4PM & SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 3rd, 12:30PM – 3:30PM
BEGINNER COPPERPLATE CALLIGRAPHY
WITH MARY LOU JOHNSON
FEE: $65 includes all materials
Great introduction to copperplate script … suitable for beginners and a wonderful “brush-up” for other lettering artists. Mary Lou has an abundance of experience with all kinds of calligraphic lettering, but absolutely adores this style. It is suitable for wedding invitations and greeting cards, as well as informal everyday elegance. Students will be able to use the copperplate script with pencil and/or a pointed pen by the end of this workshop. This workshop includes a complete review of pen cleaning, set-up, and troubleshooting inks.
Bring your lunch and relax with Mary Lou and your fellow students, and enjoy perusing Mary Lou’s collection of samples and books!
To register, please contact Mary Lou at 805-441-3246 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* * * * *
ART CENTRAL’S ANNIVERSARY EVENT
Art Central will celebrate 8 years in business on Saturday, February 9th! Giveaways, promotions, demonstrations, try-me stations – LOTS to do ALL DAY!
WORKSHOP: WATERCOLOR PAINTING
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16th, 10:30AM- 1PM
WATERCOLOR PAINTING WITH STRONG VALUES
WITH HARWOOD “WOODY” BENTON
Similar to Woody’s ongoing class, and a great introduction to Woody’s style of teaching.
Woody will be supplying paint and paper, all you’ll need is a brush and a palette!
To enroll, contact by email: email@example.com
DEMO: OIL PAINTING
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16th, 2PM – 3PM
PLEIN AIR PRIMER – DEMO
WITH JONATHON GAETKE
If you have a love of nature and a desire to paint—plein air painting may be for you. As with any new endeavor, an introductory level of solid information makes for a good start.
Whether you are new to painting or open to a fresh point of view – join local artist and California Art Club member Jonathan Gaetke for this free informative lecture, demonstration and Q&A Session.
• Equipment and supplies
• Scouting/timing/locations, weather, and clothing
• Preview the “Big 4” components of a successful painting as you watch Jonathan do a “Pleine Aire” demonstration, showing you how to embrace nature, a blank canvas and make a good start. With 19 years of experience, Question and Answer session will give you the confidence you need to start painting outdoors! Sign-ups appreciated, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WORKSHOP: ACRYLIC PAINTING
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 17th, 12:30 – 3:30PM
WITH DREW DAVIS
3- hour Acrylic painting workshop with Drew Davis: Drew has over 18 years experience as a professional artist working in oil and acrylic paint, and has been teaching art workshops for over 4 years. He works with numerous subject matters in a colorful, loosely impressionist style.
In this 3 hour acrylic painting workshop, we will explore how to deconstruct images of flowers to create representational abstract paintings. Drew will break down his creative process used to construct vibrant, energetic paintings in an easy-to-understand way. He will share various techniques he uses with shapes, values, colors and brush strokes to create movement, balance and energy. In this class we will work from supplied printed photos, but you are welcome to bring your own images. Students will receive individual focus that is unique to each person’s needs. This class is for all skill levels!
– Please arrive a few minutes early to purchase your canvas from at Art Central. You will need 1 small (8″x10″) & 1 larger (16″x20″)
– Paints, brushes and other materials will be provided.
You are welcome to BYOB. 🙂 Come join the fun!(Limited to 15 spaces)
Contact Drew for info by phone: 805-234-2302 or email: email@example.com.
WORKSHOP: ZENTANGLE ART
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 19th, 10:30AM – 1PM
ZENTANGLE AND THE ART OF MINDFUL CREATION
WITH DEBBIE GEDAYLOO
FEE: $40 for new students, $25 for continuing students.
Spend the afternoon exploring your creative self. The Zentangle Method is designed to expand your way of seeing things and to help you quiet your mind, all while playing in the realm of art.
No artistic confidence is needed in order to have fun and focus using this process of creating.
It’s yoga on paper!
$3 discount if paid by cash or check. Pre-payment reserves your place in the class, must be paid at least 48 hours in advance. Non-refundable. To register, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-550-2487
DON’T FORGET TO
* * SAVE THE DATE * *
Art Central will celebrate 8 years in business on Saturday, February 9th!